Monday, July 23, 2012

Hi gang!  Sorry for the delay in blogging, but I was on vacation, and you know how security experts scream about mentioning that you're going on vacation online.

We went out of town for 3 days, which meant we needed a chicken sitter.  Yeah, tried to find one of those lately?  You can always find somebody to watch the dog, and as long as the litter box is clean & there's tons of food and water, cats will be ok for a few days.  Not chickens.  Luckily one of the neighbor kids moved off a farm a year or so ago and they raised chickens.  Score!  I checked with his mom, and then Logan E became our official chicken sitter.

Getting ready for vacation means more work when you have chickens.  I didn't want the neighbor kid to have to deal with chicken droppings, so I mucked out the coop before we left.  I also scrubbed out all the feeders and the water jug.  We had orientation sessions and my mother in law sat in, in case he had questions or she needed to do something sometimes.  The feed bin was full, I refilled the little bucket of grit in the coop and told my chickie babies that I would miss them.

Oh boy, did I ever miss them.  When I'm grumpy at home, I go see the chickens and after a loooong drive and a crappy attempt at sleep in a hotel bed, I wanted my chickens.  It was a little better the second night and we drove back the third night.  Wheee, a decent night's sleep and my chickens!  I was afraid they'd be mad, since this was the longest I'd ever been away from them (the dog goes nuts when we get home, the cats ignore me for a day or 2).  They missed me too!  I got lots of pecks and they went crazy over my blue toenails but at least I wasn't getting the silent treatment.  Logan E did a great job of taking care of them so we're set the next time we go out of town.

The only bad thing is that it's been hot lately and the coop needs mucking out again.  Yuuuuuuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment