Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Blizzard

2014 is coming in with a small blizzard here at Fractured Farm.  Ok, the roads aren't drifting shut but the day is still young.  They're calling for snow most of the day but the chickens are doing better this winter than last year.  Moving the greenhouse so it's parallel to the run may have limited their view of the Mississippi River but it's blocking the wind so there isn't snow in the coop.

The chickens seem to be dealing with the cold and snow better than I am.  There doesn't seem to be the feather pulling of last winter, which just further convinces me that it was Forte the rooster behind it all.  Everybody is much happier since we re-homed him with a chicken farmer who needed another rooster to grow his flock.  When the temps first started dropping, they weren't too happy about being stuck inside most of the time, but since I started throwing their food and some corn on the floor of the coop, they perked up.  Don't worry, I put fresh bedding down frequently.  On the rare occasions lately when it hasn't been below zero, Cheeto and Honey and sometimes a couple of the hens will sit under the coop and soak up the sun.  

Yeah, they're handling it much better than I am.  Bud's had a head cold for a week, and I haven't been able to sleep much because of his snoring.  Since he's sick, he can't do much but get caught up on TVin the living room, which is something he wanted to do this winter, but binge watching "Dexter" isn't my cup of tea.  Serial killers don't help my stress levels, even if they only kill bad guys.  I'm huddled under blankets in the bedroom, trying to warm up by watching the Rose Bowl Parade.  There aren't a lot of heat vents in the office and while Bud can putz on his computer for a while in there, I can't write with numb toes.

How many days until spring?  

No comments:

Post a Comment