Monday, July 21, 2014

So Much For My Jenna Woginrich Moment

I thought I was having a true Jenna Woginrich moment with the chickens this morning.  If you haven't read her books, you're really missing out.  She writes these beautiful books about her journey from corporate cube drone to living and supporting herself on 6 1/2 acres with gardens, sheep, 2 horses, chickens and all that stuff you dream about when you were stuff in traffic on the way to work, the copier is jammed AGAIN, and some creep stole your Post-It stash.  She raises her own food, writes and all that good stuff.  It's hard work, but she's only supporting herself and her critters, and I daydream about being Jenna when the boys are chasing each other through the house with shaving cream.

This morning I thought sure I was having a Jenna moment.  The kids were sleeping in, it was quiet out back, and I was doing the morning chores with the chickens.  I filled up the waterer, tore up  bread (because Honey will lose her mind if she doesn't get bread every morning), put out the little pail of sunflower seeds so the girls will go bobbing for seeds and scattered chicken feed around.  Chickens were clucking, Cheeto was crowing now and then and it was so peaceful and nice.  It was exactly what I was picturing last winter when the Polar Vortex had me pulling the curtains and watching anything on TV that showed green grass.  Buttercup pushed up against me and I pulled him into my lap for our morning cuddle.  He snuggled against me, cooing and making all sorts of cute chicken noises and I thought, "I could get used to this."  After a minute though, he hopped off my lap and scuttled off, which is unusual for him.  I thought maybe he'd caught sight of an interesting bug. 

Then I saw my t-shirt.

Biiiiiiig wet spot.

The little creep peed on me!

Nobody has peed on me since I learned how to change a diaper in under 30 seconds!

I bet Jenna's chickens don't pee on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment