Monday, May 14, 2012

We had some excitement over the weekend - an emergency relocation.  The kids were outgrowing the brooder and they can't go in the (still under construction) coop for another 3 weeks.  So Logan and I  put a tarp down in our old attached garage/my future bedroom and moved the gang in there.  Plenty of room for everybody!

The girls went wild.  Now they can run amok, flap to their hearts' content and not get shavings in the water!  For the most part they stay on the tarp but they'll occasionally wander off it a little.  Honestly, few things are funnier than two chickens chest bumping each other and flapping. 

We started construction on the coop yesterday (happy Mothers Day to meeee...).  Bud's having a good time with it, which is good since my construction skills are pretty much nonexistent.  Pictures will be posted when it looks more coop-y.  That reminds me, when I get home I have to find the ad for the solar powered doohickey that looks like a pair of glowing red eyes when anybody gets too close to the coop.  I predict several neighborhood kids will be freaked out (mwahahaha...).

We're still not sure all of the Silkies are girls and we're starting to think Tweetie is older than the others.  The rest of the Orpies are starting to look like what Tweetie looked like last week.  Whatever.  As long as she's a girl 'cause I'm not ready to deal with the whole meat chickens thing.  We've thought about changing her name to Chickzilla because of her size but Tweetie stuck with us.  I don't care if she's older than the others, she's still one of my babies.  Hmm, maybe she'll be the first to lay...

No comments:

Post a Comment