Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Uh oh...

We've been wondering about Forte and his sexuality for a while now.  No, that doesn't mean I have a cross dressing chicken (although I did see some adorable hats at Etsy...).  We just weren't sure if she was a he or not.  Big old comb on top, red waddle thingie under the mouth, occasionally aggressive...but I had never heard Forte crow so I figured "no crowing, it's a hen."  Keep in mind that I ordered hens.

This morning I went out to let them out of the coop and hand out breakfast.  And what do I hear as I turned the corner? "Err err err errrrr..."  Oh boy.  Yep, Forte is a he.  I read all those books and I never knew I had a rooster!  Well, we feel better naming Forte after a football player now.  And now the big decision - is Forte going to be dinner or do we have to start grabbing eggs ASAP (when they start laying) so they don't grow into more chickie babies?  So we're down to 4 laying hens, 2 Silikes of unknown sex, and a rooster. 

At least the neighbors aren't complaining.  One neighbor is my mother in law, the one who buys them treats.  Another neighbor has the Rhodesian Ridgebacks that occasionally leave "presents" in our yard (he's good at picking them up though).  Another neighbor makes more noise than the chickens after work so yeah, I don't think we'll have a noise problem. 

This chicken biz just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

No comments:

Post a Comment